Documentation Check List
Here are the things you always need to gather for your application:
- A valid passport
- Evidence that you are legally present in Portugal (your visa, entry stamps, etc.).
- Proof that you are covered either by the Portuguese public health system or that you have private primary health insurance that will cover you for the length of your stay in Portugal (or for a shorter period, but with automatic renewal).
- Your criminal record from your country of origin, and/or from the country (or countries) where you have been living for more than a year. It’s essential that the extract of the criminal records are issued within 3 months of the online application, and are certifiably translated into Portuguese.
- Completing a form authorizing SEF to get an extract of your Portuguese criminal records.
- A sworn statement declaring that you will comply with all the minimum investment requirements (amount and 5 year period).
- Documents showing a good standing with the Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority and Social Security system. These can at most be issued 45 days prior to your online application.
- A receipt showing that you already paid the application processing fee.
Specific documentation relating to your investments (see below).
Again, all documentation (unless otherwise noted) needs to have been issued within 90 days before you online application.
Anything issued by a foreign entity has to be legalized (e.g., with an apostle if your country of origin has signed the Hague convention).
Anything that’s not in Portuguese needs to be translated and certified.
For any documentation that you need to organise from Portuguese sources, your lawyer can help you out a lot, including the required documentation relating to proof of your investment.
What type of additional documentation you will need depends on your chosen method.
If you prefer not to be making a property purchase at this time then you have additional options …
- Capital transfer of an amount equal to or above 1 million Euros
- Proof of the creation of at least 10 jobs
- Capital transfer on the amount equal to or above 350 thousand euros for investing in research activities
- Capital transfer on the amount equal to or above 250 thousand euros for funding/supporting the arts or restoring/maintaining the national cultural heritage
- Capital transfer of the amount of €350,000 euro for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital funds
- Capital transfer of the amount equal to or above €350,000 euro for the establishment/reinforcement of a commercial company with its head office in Portugal