Unless you are familiar with the system we strongly suggest you let lawyer handle and guide you through the application process.
- Fill out, and upload all the supporting documentation (legalized and translated). Make sure that everything is correct to avoid extra costs and wasting precious time. If you have a lawyer, have him or her look over everything before submitting.
- Once SEF has analyzed the application and the documentation, pay the application processing fee(s).
- A few weeks after the payment, you may select a date and location for the personal interview (it’s done through an online calendar on SEF’s website). If you’re not already based in Portugal, you should make sure to pick a date when you and your family (if applicable) can all travel to Portugal.
- Attend your interview on the agreed date and time. Make sure to bring the original versions of all the documents you submitted online as part of your application.
- Wait a few months until SEF notifies you that your residence permit can be issued. At this point, you pay the remaining application fee (currently €5274,40 per person).
- Shortly thereafter you or your lawyer can pick up your residence card(s).
In summary, you can then :-
- Enter Portugal without a special visa
- Live and work in Portugal
- Bring your family with you
- Apply for permanent residency and/or Portuguese citizenship after five years
- Access the Portuguese healthcare and education system (on the same basis as Portuguese citizens)
- Travel freely in the entire Schengen Area
- Travel to the 131 further countries worldwide that don’t require an entry visa for Portuguese citizens,